In Arabic, Bartal means “arcade”, but today we use Partal to refer to the area of the Alhambra where the first palaces in the Medina de la Alhambra were built.
Made up of small terraces, they are stepped beds that form “hanging” gardens, which are adapted to the uneven terrain.
All of these gardens are located on the archaeological remains of houses and palaces, which, for the most part, have only preserved the central pools. The gardens surrounding these pools protect the important archaeological remains until the archaeological work, which began at the turn of the 20th century, is resumed.
From 1924 onwards, Leopoldo Torres Balbás designed the gardens known as Partal Gardens in the French style; with hedges, keeping the garden beds and recreating the architectonic spaces, such as the pavilions and arcades of the palace that no longer existed.
In addition to being home to some of the most welcoming gardens in the entire Alhambra, El Partal also includes the palaces known as Palacio Partal Alto and Palacio Partal Bajo, along with the small adjacent houses, and a small mosque.