Church of San Andres

Church of San Andres The church won’t be holding services temporarily due to restoration work. It was erected in 1521 as part of the city’s parochial plan, and was subsequently destroyed in a fire in 1818.

The bell tower is similar to that of the Santa Ana Church, and it is one of the most notable examples of a Mudejar Tower.

The church of San Andrés belongs to the first constructive stage of the parish churches of Granada, in the third decade of the sixteenth century. Today the partially reconstructed building is preserved despite the fire it suffered in the 19th century, which reduced the building to its perimeter walls and the tower. Its wooden roofs were replaced by vaults, only the octagonal armor of the chapel of the Marquis of Caicedo, to the right of the main chapel, was preserved.

The tower, from the middle of the sixteenth century, was a novelty for its rectangular floor plan, its glazed hairnets, the tucked ending, and the totally glazed roof, establishing a model for Granada Mudejar towers. Finally, it should be noted that among the works preserved in this church is a Crucified statue from the sixteenth century, a canvas of the Immaculate in the style of Ambrosio Martínez, another of the Virgin and Child, a copy of a lost original by Alonso Cano, and one of Jesus and the Baptism, work of Vicente Cieza from 1685.

×Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios, mostrar vídeos, publicar en redes sociales y generar estadísticas sobre las visitas de nuestro sitio web. Al navegar o utilizar ciceronegranada.com, entendemos que aceptas nuestra política de cookies. Para saber cómo utilizamos las cookies y cómo puedes gestionarlas, lee nuestra política de cookies.